.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, September 12, 2004

This week's winners and losers on The Georgia Gang -- May we viewers pick one, please? Just this one time.

Boy, I sure must be proud of myself for posting Pogo's famous line "We have met the enemy . . . and he is us" on my blog a couple of weeks ago.

Since posting it on 8-31-04 I have already used it once a couple of days ago in the 9-9-04 post entitled in part "You heard it first on The Georgia Gang and first read about it here."

In that post you might recall I used a little parphrasing involving changing the word "us" to "within" to brag on the Dean for once again being correct in what I thought was a specious pronouncement that Bushie spies had infiltrated the Kerry camp.

(While I erred in doubting the Dean, I did confess at the time that his theory was and remains the only plausible explanation of how any campaign can so consistently screw up any and everything, issue after issue, day after day. As of this writing, and I hate to say it, I don't see an end in sight. But I digress into an area in which I have promised to try to do better and be more positive, OK, positive then.)

Anyway, back to You Heard it First on the Georgia Gang. By changing "us" to "within," and with a little help from the Raging Cajun's erstwhile friend Dick Morris identifying Kerry's new advisor as the spy Bill Shipp first talked about, voila, we were able to Pogolize with "We have met the enemy . . . and he is within."

Assuming we viewers are allowed some input on that part of The Georgia Gang called This Week's Winners and Losers . . . "What?"

"What did you say Dick?" I politely ask Moderator Dick Williams after hearing him tell me that this will not be allowed. "This has never been done before," he explains.

"Come on Dick, just this once, just this one week," I ask. No response.

"Well," I ask, "what about we do either a winner or a loser, but not both?" "I'll tell you what," I say, "Mr. Shipp didn't do a winner today, how about we viewers do his Winner for the Week?"

"Well, OK," Mr. Williams reluctantly responds, silently wondering if I had conferred (or conspired) with the Dean on this, "but make it quick."

(I dare not tell him, but if you are thinking what I'm thinking, I'm thinking, hey, if I were a Republican, he would have given me a winner and a loser. But I am not about to say this. Alas, we're guests, and besides, it would be sort of rude under the circumstances.)

"OK," I say to Mr. Williams, "I am going to go with the viewers' winner for this week."

"Is it all right if I paraphrase Walt Kelly's Pogo in giving the viewers' weekly winner?" I meekly ask.

"You can paraphrase Zell Miller if you want to Sam, I mean Sid, although I have a feeling you won't be doing so this week," he responds, sort of chuckling to himself as he acknowledges a nod of approval from fellow GOP panel member Phil Kent for his quick comeback reponse.
_______________
_______________

(TIME OUT as I digress: Today's The Georgia Gang session was one of those "You had to be there" on the following:

Mr. Williams was talking about President Carter's not appreciating Sen. Miller calling him a pacifist, and Messrs. Williams and Kent then went to carrying on about how Sen. Miller just up and published the letter from President Carter for the world to see, etc., bang.

Mr. Williams asked Phil Kent about his attending the GOP convention, etc., this being in this context of the conversation about Zell and Carter.

Mr. Kent said he had talked with Shirley Miller -- as in Mrs. Zell Miller -- at the convention, and she told him that what bothered Sen. Miller more than anything else was how President Carter was going around talking bad about Zell.

Some of my friends have TiVo's. I have only a weak memory. Mr. Kent -- and I know he was just the messenger here -- said what was told to him I am sure, but I would love to know the exact words that Mrs. Miller attributed to her husband as relayed by Mr. Kent.

As has almost happened in the past, I just about fell off my exercise bike while watching The Gang and hearing that Zell feels Carter is the culprit here, and listen, this is before Mr. Carter's letter and as I understand Mr. Kent, before Sen. Miller delivered his harangue.

TiVo me my friends directly or post it here.

TIME OUT OVER. Back to my never ending post.
_______________
_______________

I continue with my Weekly Winner for the viewers: "We have met the winner . . . and he is us," I inform Mr. Williams.

"Please explain," Mr. Williams asks.

"Well, assuming any forthcoming TiVo does not prove me wrong, today is the first time that I can remember Alexis Scott bragging and carrying on about a candidate because of the candidate's sex rather than race," I explain.

"The topic, you will recall Mr. Williams, was a new poll showing that Denise Majette is in the running in her quest for the U.S. Senate seat. Ms. Scott attributed the Congresswoman's good showing in the poll to her being a woman, having the name Denise, obviously a woman's name."

"Yes!! Yes!! we in audience land exclaimed with glee."

3 Comments:

Blogger Mae said...

do you belive the #s sid? where did this gain come from?

4:17 PM  
Blogger Sid Cottingham said...

If you believe these numbers, you believe in the Tooth Fairy.

Who wants you to believe these numbers? Isakson of course. He will use them to raise funds.

As you know, this week the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee gave Majette $34,000. If the numbers had credibility, there might have been another 0.

And as was noted on the Gang today, moveon.org raised her a pile, a big pile, $220,000 after the Miller speech.

But the numbers. Not on mine and your lives.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

hahah
moveon is the new DSCC

10:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home