.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Friday, September 10, 2004

What's that adage in politics, the only bad press is no press -- I'll take it Jim Wooten, and hey, thanks (I reckon)

Do some of you think we other Georgians have an inferiority complex? Well let me ask you an even easier question? Do you think and/or know we other Georgians are inferior? Just a little bit?

Come on now, a little truth never hurt anyone.

Trust me on the first question, we don't, but we also don't expect you to believe us; we recognize that a man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still. On the second question, who are we to say.

Inferiority complex or not, as already noted on one post today, we other Georgians know that if you lived in the other Georgia, you would know there are two. For this reason, we definitely appreciate it -- sometimes if it is done correctly or at least tactfully -- when those of you who live in the other Georgia acknowledge that there are two.

And you know I love to say and promote: Let's Get Both Georgia's on the Move . . . . So reads the caption on two of the three pages of my website SenatorSidCottingham.com.

Well today the ajc's Jim Wooten was forthcoming in acknowledging that there are two Georgia's. And he should know. He used to hail from the other Georgia. The following is from page 3 of my website:

On the campaign trail I have encountered some hostility toward Mr. Wooten. When asked how I “feel” about him, I diffuse the situation by saying, hey, I like the guy. He can’t help it if his perspective has changed over the years; his problem is that he has just forgotten where he came from. Mr. Wooten is from Eastman, Dodge County, a pleasant City in the heart of South Georgia where I had the pleasure of spending a summer years ago as Youth Campaign Manager for the successful U.S. Congressional race of Bill Stuckey -- yep, that one, Stephanie’s father, and that summer Stephanie was a newborn, and yes, I may have changed her diapers a time or two. I have heard that if you stay in Washington too long, you change. Maybe the same thing happens Jim if you live in Atlanta too long.

For those of you who use Mr. Wooten's name in vain when writing about him on the web, know this. We might differ in our politics, but I know him to be a man who does not mind saying how he feels and what is on his mind. I respect and appreciate this about anyone. His political feelings and philosophy, although different from my own, are sincere.

And in one area I grant him complete latitude -- military service. He has been there and done that -- including serving his country in Vietnam -- and you will never find me questioning his convictions or character. I respect his right to write about such, including the service of others.

Well, I didn't mean to go into any of that. I was just going to point out that in his column on 9-10-04 in the ajc Mr. Wooten says something about there being two Georgia's:

Two Georgias. Two Democratic parties. State Rep. Alan Powell (D-Hartwell), one of the vanishing breed of conservative Democrats, and state Sen. Vincent Fort (D-Atlanta), the liberal face of the emerging majority, clash over tough-on-crime legislation. Debates like this – along with moderate-conservative Sid Cottingham’s 3% showing in the Democratic Senate primary – are reminders of how close the Democratic Party is to imploding outside the Perimeter.

Thanks for the press Jim, I'll take it, I reckon (although I have been trying to forget about the only 3% part).

And hey, if you readers don't want to check out the above part of his column, then you can just delete the "– along with moderate-conservative Sid Cottingham’s 3% showing in the Democratic Senate primary –" and you will have what he said.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home