.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Saturday, August 07, 2004

Thanks Ben, I needed that -- Oxford uses a pot to call a kettle black

On 8-7 Ben Smith in the ajc writes:

-- On Saturday, [Majette] was expected to win the endorsement of Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin. Franklin's support could be critical for Majette, who needs the turnout in metro Atlanta to exceed that in rural Georgia.

-- In an effort to cut into [Majette's] base, the Oxford campaign released a radio ad Friday recycling an old campaign charge that Majette is really a Republican posing as a Democrat.

The ad, cut by civil rights activist and state Rep. Tyrone Brooks, never mentions Majette by name. It states: "Just two years ago, Cliff's opponent teamed up with Republicans to defeat Cynthia McKinney for Congress . . . and in 2000, when we were supporting Al Gore, she went in and voted Republican for president."

-- McKinney, defeated in the 2000 primary by Majette, leveled the same charges. . . . Brooks himself was paid $52,000 by the Georgia GOP to encourage black voters to vote for Republican Guy Millner for governor in 1994.

Majette also voted in the GOP presidential primary in 2000, but she says she crossed over to support Alan Keyes because she wanted to cast a vote for a black man for president. Majette says she voted for Gore in the general election. The state's voter database shows that out of 18 elections dating back to 1990, Majette voted Democratic 17 times.

[Sid comments: I am having a difficult time following this folks. But I refreshed my thinking powers by going back and reading up on Aesop's Fables, and I think I might have it now. At least part of it anyway.

Here we have Oxford using the GOP-hired black Tyrone Brooks to attack Majette as being a wolf in sheep's clothing by posing as a Republican, but really being a Democrat. If this is correct, we have a black pot calling a black kettle black. Anyway, I think this is right.

No, that's not it. Let me try again. Tryone is the wolf, being a GOP hire in sheep's clothing, attempting to attack the sheep, one of whom is Majette.

No, that probably not right either.

I give up. I wish this were law type stuff. I can understand it then I promise.

But the most frustrating thing I can't figure out is who Tyrone is talking about when on the radio spot he says "in 2000, when we were supporting Al Gore." Who is the "we?" He can't be talking about Oxford; we all know he is too busy to vote.

And with respect to Tyrone and the $52,000 payment from the GOP in 1994, I say thanks Ben, I needed that and didn't know it (OK , to understand the "thanks, I needed that" bit, you might need to have some age on you).]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez, Sid, I bet you thought- Deja Vu all over again with the Republican charge against Majette!

3:33 PM  
Blogger Sid Cottingham said...

You've got that right Steve. Been there, been accused of that.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home