.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, August 22, 2004

A good time was had by all -- GADCC Richard B. Russell Dinner

On this week's edition of The Georgia Gang someone said a poll showed Bush 14% ahead of Kerry in Georgia. Bah, Humbug!!

And you surely wouldn't believe it if you had been at the Ga. Ass'n of Democratic County Chairs (GADCC) meeting in Macon Saturday night.

What a crowd! What enthusiam! The group's theme this year, "Taking It To The Streets." Don't tell this group it is not going to be a blue November!

The GADCC is comprised of the workhorses of our Party (which does not include me; I was there as a guest of my County Chairperson and GADCC Secretary Danita Knowles). Thank these people for what they do for us and Georgia the next time you see one of them.

Some one-liners from the evening:

Labor Commissioner Michael Thurmond (attired in a white dinner jacket): "It's been a thrill getting to see so many of my friends and acquaintances tonight. And it's been fun meeting some of you I haven't met before, including that guy who looked me right in the eye and said 'Hey waiter, how about bringing me another drink.'"

State Chairman Bobby Kahn (with his "Go Majette" button on his lapel) was quick to pick up on the Commissioner Thurmond's waiter remark and have some good fun with the good Commissioner by saying: "Commissioner, if you need to leave early tonight, we'll understand. We know you've got to get that rented tux back to Wal-Mart."

And Secretary of State Cathy Cox, the recipient of the 2004 Richard B. Russell Award -- in addition to rallying the troops with a powerful stump speech -- noted that Michael Thurmond had endeared himself to her a couple of years ago when he said, "I'm talking about 'the' Cathy Cox, you know, the pretty one."

In the huge crowd at the Holiday Inn Conference Center in Macon I saw (and I probably missed some; it was a crowd) Congresswoman Denise Majette, Rep. Calvin Smyre, 9th Congressional District candidate Bob Ellis and 11th Congressional District candidate Rick Crawford.

4 Comments:

Blogger Mae said...

did you see that crazy lady wearing a wrap skirt and black tubetop?

3:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, but I saw Mae. Folks, and I know many of you know it, Mae is the bestest.

5:39 PM  
Blogger Sid Cottingham said...

Mae my dear: The last comment was from me. How it got checked as anonymous I know not.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Mae said...

NO, you're the best.
don't you love this game?

11:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home