.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Saturday, November 01, 2008

In Georgia Democrats are starting to think the unthinkable: the State could possibly turn blue. Who would have thunk it? -- Part II

Who would have thunk it? Well, the Cracker Squire has maintained all along that it was possible if not likely. From some prior posts:

In a 7-7-08 post I discussed an article Dr. Charles Bullock, a University of Georgia Political Science professor, wrote indicating that Obama could carry Georgia. It notes:

Barack Obama, poised to become the Democratic presidential nominee, has begun running television ads in Georgia. This investment confirms the rumors that Democrats believe that his candidacy gives them some hope of carrying parts of the South, including Georgia. Attempting to secure a few southern states makes good sense for Democrats who lost all 11 states in both 2000 and 2004. When Republicans sweep the South, Democrats have to win 70 percent of the electors in the rest of the nation. That is a stiff challenge, although both Al Gore and John Kerry came close to hitting that target. Nonetheless, if Obama could take a few southern states, as Bill Clinton did in both of his victories, he would have an easier road to the White House.

In a 7-8-08 post I wrote:

If [Jim Wooten is] just saying Obama won't win Georgia, he is probably right, although this is within the realm of possibility.

If though, he is saying Obama will not occupy the White House, he needs to -- as I tell some of my friends down here in South Georgia -- get used to the idea.


In a 6-8-08 post I wrote:

My mother-in-law, a Republican, asked [me] if Obama would carry Georgia.

I told her the margin would be much narrower than in 2004, but that he would not unless he put Nunn on as V.P., in which case he most definitely would.

But, I added, I will tell you one state that he will carry, and you won't believe this. What, she asked. Virginia, I responded.

In truth, my real feelings about Obama carrying Georgia were expressed to a close friend at a party last night who asked me what I thought about his being this area's coordinator for Obama. He had just been asked either Thurday or Friday. Of course I said do it by all means, and then told him that I thought that it is at least possible that Obama can carry Georgia. Not likely, but very possible. But even feeling this is is a big contrast with the past
.

And in a 5-16-08 post I wrote:

I would not be so quick to to say that in Georgia the political bedrock remains as red as ever. Do I believe Georgia will turn blue this year? No, but it is going to be more blue -- a whole lot more blue -- than it has been since Bill Clinton carried the state in 1992.

And unlike my idol Bill Shipp, I do believe Obama will become the 44th president of the United States.

God Bless America, and God Bless the Democratic Party.


In a 3-4-08 post entitled Tom Crawford writes that Gov. Perdue can say to Sen. Obama: "Been there, done that," I wrote:

Tom Crawford's weekly column from Capitol Impact can be found in Flagpole. I never miss it, and highly commend it to you.

Tom's current column discusses the uncanny parallels between the current Obama and Hillary presidential campaign and the 2002 Sonny Perdue and Roy Barnes gubernatorial campaign.

His current column entitled "We’ve Seen It Before" notes:

"In both campaigns, you had an incumbent favorite who was way ahead in the early polls and seemed to have so much money that they would crush their opposition. That was Roy Barnes in 2002 running against Perdue, an obscure state legislator. You could make the same argument about Hillary Clinton in 2008 [I would have said 2007] - she is so well-known to American voters from her eight years as First Lady that she is, in effect, an incumbent running against the fledgling senator Obama."

After continuing to recount uncanny similarities between these two campaigns, Crawford writes:

"I was talking to a friend [which friend just happened to be the Cracker Squire] who has been working Democratic Party politics in South Georgia for many years. He sees the same similarities between the two campaigns.

"'I remember seeing Perdue come to Douglas one Friday night with Tommie Williams, our state senator at the time, and I said, 'Damn, what they are telling me in metro Atlanta is right. This race is going to be tighter than I thought.' 'Obama's campaign will also go down in history for its organization and strategy,' he recounted.

"'Obama is Sonny Perdue on the ground, plus he has money to boot,' my friend said. 'What a combo.'"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home