.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007

In the presence of hostility, when asked what I think about him, I diffuse the situation by saying, hey, I like the guy. -- Jim Wooten to retire.

Another day, another casualty. Doug Monroe at Peachtree Screed writes that AJC's conservative political columnist and Editorial Board Member Jim Wooten is taking the AJC early retirement buyout offer.

In a prior post I wrote this about Jim Wooten:

[In the past] I have encountered some hostility toward Mr. Wooten. When asked how I “feel” about him, I diffuse the situation by saying, hey, I like the guy. He can’t help it if his perspective has changed over the years; his problem is that he has just forgotten where he came from.

Mr. Wooten is from Eastman, Dodge County, a pleasant City in the heart of South Georgia where I had the pleasure of spending a summer years ago as Youth Campaign Manager for the successful U.S. Congressional race of Bill Stuckey -- yep, that one, Stephanie’s father, and that summer Stephanie was a newborn, and yes, I may have changed her diapers a time or two.

I have heard that if you stay in Washington too long, you change. Maybe the same thing happens Jim if you live in Atlanta too long.

For those of you who use Mr. Wooten's name in vain when writing about him on the web, know this. We might differ in our politics, but I know him to be a man who does not mind saying how he feels and what is on his mind. I respect and appreciate this about anyone. His political feelings and philosophy, although different from my own, are sincere.

And in one area I grant him complete latitude -- military service. He has been there and done that -- including serving his country in Vietnam -- and you will never find me questioning his convictions or character. I respect his right to write about such, including the service of others.

2 Comments:

Blogger Button Gwinnett said...

Sorry, Sid. You lost me when I got this visual of you changing a baby's diapers! Oh well, a campaign manager has to do what a campaign manager has to do.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sid, it looks like Jim Wooten is staying at the AJC after all!

2:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home