.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Friday, August 26, 2005

Taylor stands by son but staying in politics.

From an interview with Dick Pettys of the Associated Press:

Lt. Gov. Mark Taylor said he will stand by his 21-year-old son as he faces the consequences of being behind the wheel in a fatal wreck and a resulting drunken driving charge but said he won't give up either his current post or his campaign for the governor's office.

"My first obligation is to my family but I absolutely do plan to continue my political career," he told The Associated Press in an interview Thursday.

"My faith tells me this can make me even stronger as a public servant, even stronger as a supporter of law enforcement ... (and) make me stronger as an advocate for tough teen driver laws and tough DUI laws, as I've done throughout my career."

"I've turned to my faith to try to get through this," the elder Taylor said, adding that the past few days "have been absolutely awful."

But he also said, "I know we will get through this with the Lord's help. We will get Fletcher through this. He's in for a long, difficult time, but we will stand with him."

He said he hopes to make something positive come out of the tragedy by encouraging families "to look towards their young people and have another conversation. It's never too late to have another conversation about how dangerous cars are, how dangerous and wrong it is to drink and drive."

He continued, "I believe this tragedy can benefit the state of Georgia, make the state of Georgia a safer place as I go out and tell Joe's story and Fletcher's story and the story of our family, and urge families to make sure to do everything that can to make sure it doesn't happen to another family."

The younger Taylor remains in custody in Charleston. A judge has granted him a $75,000 bond, but it is conditioned upon his treatment in an alcohol program.

Taylor visited his son over the weekend.

"I thought it was important I go tell him I loved him very much and I stand with him."

He described his son as "very, very despondent. He is very sorry this happened. Very worried about Joe's family, and wishes he could go back to Thursday and this never would have happened."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home