.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

To veto or not to veto. That is the question. Part III.

A 4-1-05 non-April 1 post entitled "To veto or not to veto. That is the question. - The smoking bill that would ban smoking in most public businesses," reads:

I predict that Gov. Perdue will veto the smoking bill that would ban smoking in most public businesses.The bill passed the Senate 46 to 4, and if the Governor signs the bill into law, Georgia would become the eighth state with such a ban.

A 4-6-05 post entitled "Will the real George Ervin Perdue from Bonaire, Georgia please stand up . . . . - To veto or not to veto. That is the question, Part II," has as its subject an AJC Political Insider column highlighting the struggle between Republicn moralists and those of a more libertarian cast, and quotes Gov. Perdue having it both ways, saying:

"I am very concerned with government being the end-all and be-all nanny for all people." "But I have huge respect for the passion for the health-care argument."

After this post I did some checking about current thinking on whether he would or would not veto the legislation. It was unanimous that he would not veto it.

While this may remain current thinking, today's AJC has a great front page article by Jim Tharpe captioned "Smoking proposal sparks GOP rift." The article presents both sides and the dilemma facing Perdue, but leads one to conclude that the Governor is leaning on toward a veto.

Excerpts:

[T]he Republican governor has problems with the legislation, which some Republicans view as government big-footing into the affairs of private business.

"I'm still smoking it over, but haven't made a decision yet," Perdue, a nonsmoker, said Tuesday. "There's some really divergent philosophies about this bill that I'm trying to consider."

The bill passed by large majorities in both legislative chambers, but Republicans in the House split over the issue.

The governor has come under intense pressure to sign the legislation from health organizations, including the American Cancer Society.

Perdue said he had "great respect" for Thomas and the health arguments for the ban. But the governor said he also has problems with state government acting as a "nanny," prying into every nook of the free enterprise system.

However, two years ago, when he pushed a tobacco tax to balance the state budget, Perdue argued the increased tax would act as a deterrent to teen smokers.

"If we could wave a magic wand and everybody would stop smoking that would be great," Perdue said. "But when you start legislating these kinds of issues for people, limiting their choices, it really begins to concern me because of the whole issue of government intrusion."

Perdue's dilemma highlights a divide in the Republican Party between some conservatives who want to influence what they see as negative personal behavior and the Libertarian and business wings of the party that want government to keep hands off.

Sadie Fields, executive director of the Christian Coalition of Georgia, said that in her opinion the bill violates the GOP foundation principle of limited government. Neither Fields nor the coalition took a formal position on the bill.
_______________

In my 4-6-05 post I noted that I have responded to a comment to my 4-1-05 post inquiring if I had some inside knowledge leading me to predict that Perdue would veto the smoking ban.

My response to such comment confirmed that my feelings were nothing but speculation on my part, noting:

No inside knowledge. Just a feeling that the Governor may feel that he should not do anything to weaken his shakey base among Georgia farmers. I am sticking with my prediction.

I believe all of this talk and emphasis about a divide and fault line between the moralist conservatives in the GOP who want to influence what they see as negative personal behavior and the Libertarian and business wings of the party that want government to keep hands off is providing Gov. Perdue with a convenient smoke screen.

I have a difficult time reconciling how the Governor can really be so torn between these competing philosophies when only two years ago he pushed a tobacco tax to balance the state budget, arguing that the increased tax would act as a deterrent to teen smokers.

Thus I stick with my prediction, and my reason for thinking he will veto the ban. But if you are a betting person, know that the odds favor the opposite opinion.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joseph said...

I agree. I don't see what he would gain by signing that bill.

Then again, I was surprised when Governor Perdue suggested raising taxes his first year in office!

7:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home