.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, January 09, 2005

DNC Southern Caucus was held on Sat., but first things first. - Bo Ginn, a great Georgian with ties to my hometown & Ga.'s military, was buried today.

I have had several e-mails requesting, ASAP, a "spare me no details" report from Saturday's DNC meeting in Atlanta. To get a 30 second report on the meeting and some of those attending, you can tune in to CNN Headline News.

For indepth coverage, Tom Baxter of ajc's PI was all over the candidates like white on rice, asking during his interviews with the candidates questions I thought some of DNC members should have asked during the question and answer portion of the program.

Mr. Baxter was there when I arrived at 12:30 p.m., and was still hard at it when I left around 8:00 p.m. or so. His usual good as being there coverage is in today's ajc.

I don't know if Mr. Baxter was so fascinated with the great company on hand -- and a lot of fine Democrats were in attendance -- that he just couldn't persuade himself to leave, or whether he was doing a dress rehearsal getting used to the long hours that will commence once again tomorrow with the Legislature returning to town.
_______________

I have some thoughts and reflections that I will share about my day in Atlanta. But I had so much going on Friday that I did not get to do a couple of posts that I had wanted to do then (one post briefly alludes to Sen. Hillary Clinton, and for the "what-it's-worth department", this post was in the works prior to the weekend news of her big fundraiser.)

But first, I want to catch up with such posts.
_______________

As we all know by now, last week former U.S. Reprepresentative Bo Ginn died.

Rep. Ginn was one of South Georgia's biggest political names of the 1970s and '80s. He served in Congress from 1972 until 1982 when made an unsuccessful run for governor in 1982.

That race for governor was one exciting and eventful one to say the least. It pitted former Rep. Ginn against Joe Frank Harris and Norman Underwood.

It was one of the few races now deceased City of Douglas Mayor and Dean of Economic Development Max Lockwood and I would not be pulling for the same candidate. Max had been a longtime friend of Cong. Ginn, and early on in the race I had gotten on Joe Frank Harris' bandwagon.

It was not an easy choice for me. Not only was Cong. Ginn a tireless public servant to whom Georgia and especially South Georgia will forever be indepted, he also had close ties with my hometown of Douglas.

He began his career here in Douglas as a teacher during the mid 50s, where he taught business and history at my alma mater Coffee County High School (now Coffee High School).

He truly was, as decribed by President Carter's Budget Director Bert Lance who worked closely with Cong. Ginn while both were in Washington, a "political icon." As so well put by Mr. Lance as reported in Tom Baxter's write up on Cong. Ginn in Friday's ajc, "Anybody who had contact with him came away with high marks for him."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home