.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, October 24, 2004

Say what? Just because I say I am a Rep. doesn't make me one, Part. II -- Sen. Don Cheeks (R-Augusta) vs. Charles Walker.

We did a 10-08-04 post entitled "Say what? Just because I say I am a Rep. doesn't make me one. Just vote for me & I'll say & be whatever you want. -- Sen. Don Cheeks (Augusta).

Therein we reported how Sen. Don Cheeks, R-Augusta -- one of the four party jumpers the Gov. was so proud of in 2002 -- said having the letter "R" next to his name on the ballot didn't make him a Republican.

"I never represent the party, I represent people," he said. "I never claimed to be a Republican, including the day I changed."

Today Sylvia Cooper reports in the Augusta Chronicle that "[a]round restaurants, bars and checkout lines, when the talk turns to politics in Augusta, it usually turns to the District 22 state Senate race between Democrat Charles Walker and Republican Don Cheeks."

[What about around churches? I know good and well that politics aren't off limits after a great, good or so-so sermon at the First Methodist Church here in Douglas. Could it be that the family value Republicans are boycotting churches during this election?

Maybe they're afraid of the preacher/minister preaching about "Judge not, that ye not be judged." Come on guys, don't let this both you. I bet Sadie doesn't miss a Sunday; how could she; her organization is known as the Christian Coalition. Regardless, you don't have but one more Sunday before Nov. 2 to take a cut, and then back to life as usual.]

Says Walker: "[Cheeks] switched parties, and now he says he's not a Democrat and he's not a Republican." "It appears that he's an opportunist. I mean, you've got to be one or the other. You make your bed. You sleep in it. You are what you say you are."

Asked once why he appeared to be so friendly and to work so well with Mr. Cheeks on the Senate floor when it was well-known they were enemies, Mr. Walker said, "I can work with a rattlesnake as long as I know he's a rattlesnake and will bite me."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home