.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Thursday, September 02, 2004

Last week we covered "Look Homeward Angel;" this week's assignment: "You Can't Go Home Again." There's hell and then there's hell -- Ga.'s Sr. Sen.

Today's must reading before anything else. The Political Insider. Excerpts:

The conventional wisdom was that Miller would be used to reach out to independents and discontented Democrats. But the conventional wisdom was wrong.

Miller's was a red-meat jeremiad aimed at the GOP base.

But the real effect of Miller's speech will linger far beyond November. And it will play hell in Georgia.

Miller's speech before the GOP convention has just made it impossible for the state Democratic party to ignore him.

If there remained a thread that tied Miller to the base of the Georgia Democratic party he once led, Wednesday night's speech snipped it.

"I don't think he's got the guts to show up at a Democratic gathering the rest of his life."
_______________

All of which raises the question. Since Zell's mama didn't raise a fool, is this what Sen. Miller really wants? Brer Rabbit got what he wanted you remember.

'Skin me, Brer Fox,' sez Brer Rabbit, sezee, 'snatch out my eyeballs, t'ar out my yeras by de roots, en cut off my legs,' sezee, 'but do please, Brer Fox, don't fling me in dat brier-patch,' sezee.' (OK, OK, for those of you who didn't grow up on this stuff, we will translate: "Skin me Brer Fox," says Brer Rabbit, says he. "Snatch out my eyeballs, tear out my ears by the roots, and cut off my legs" says he, "But please, Brer Fox, don't fling me in that briar patch, " says he.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home