.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Friday, September 03, 2004

I might be slow to anger, but I have feelings you know. If anyone calls me See Saw Sid, I am going into sulk mode -- Rep. Max Burns

On 8-24-04 I did a post entitled "Does the Congressman [Jack Kingston] think it is Republican money -- Hang tough Mayor Franklin." That post noted that "[i]t seems that Mayor Franklin, during the primary, endorsed John Barrow of Athens for Congress who is running against Republican Congressman Max Burns."

The post noted that "Franklin's endorsement of Burns' opponent so angered Kingston that he warned other lawmakers this summer he was withdrawing his support for Atlanta's sewer project."

Heck, I thought. My Congressman is way off base, and I concluded my post by saying "[h]ere's to hoping that the Mayor will allow her conscience, and not what is alleged to be a quid pro quo trade-off, to be her guide. We recognize that in politics to get along sometimes one must go along. But in matters that involve fair play and right and wrong, doing what is right will probably best serve her and Atlanta, including its dilapidated sewer system, in both the short and long run."

A couple of days later on 8-28-04 I did a post I quoted at length from a column by my buddy Bill Shipp entitled in part: "Georgians can always count on the Dean to tell it like it is -- Cong. Jack Kingston and Mayor Franklin."

Sock it to 'em Shipp wrote: "In this era of personalized, give-no-quarter partisanship, opposing funds for fixing Atlanta's sewers to exact revenge on a Democrat-controlled City Hall may make perfect sense to obtuse partisan zealots."

The good Dean continued: "For Georgia's ranking congressman - and a co-chief of the Republican National Convention - to move against Atlanta to satisfy a petty partisan grievance defies comprehension." And Mr. Shipp concluded by observing: "Get right, Jack [Kingston]. The elections will shortly be over. Governance goes on."
_______________

Well, despite these strong words on my own part and the even stronger words from my mentor, I am changing my mind. Don't get me wrong, I still like and respect Mayor Shirley Franklin immensely. But my position has changed 100% (1000% Sen. George McGovern once said) on my choice for congressman of the 12th Congressional District.

I had been in the Democratic challenger from Athens John Barrow's corner in his race against incumbent 12th District Rep. Max Burns of Sylvania.

But I have just learned that Rep. Burns invented the Department of Homeland Security.

Look at it this way. So far this year we are losing, although a Republican, Rep. Max Collins who was in line to be Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, one powerful committee (remember Wilbur Mills and Fannie Fox; I just bit my tongue -- remember Rep. Wilbur Mills of Arkansas). Rep. Collins leaving Congress is Georgia's loss in terms of seniority and someone there to look after our state.

I have never thought that much of Rep. Burns, but this new information is impressive, most impressive. I am considering going over to his corner. After all, this man must be smart, very smart. Prior to going to Congress he was a college professor, and although my Dad and brother Jim were college professors, I don't know of anything either of them ever invented.

You don't believe me do you, about the inventing the Department of Homeland Security thing I mean?

Then go read an article by my friend Larry Peterson of the Savannah Morning News. (AP discusses also.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home