.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Put it to the coward Mayor, stay after him: Kasim Reed slams DeKalb NAACP chief over T-SPLOST

UPDATE:  I just received an email that forwards a comment I have not yet read other than to see the caption of my post was misconstrued, I was not clear enough, or perphas a combination thereof.  I will read the comment later, but for the moment suffice it to say that the coward is not the Mayor God forbid, a person for whom I and I think the State of Georgia has much, much respect and admiration, not to mention appreciation.  The coward is the subject of the Mayor's attack, John Evans (or "whatever the fellow’s name is").

Jim Galloway reports in the AJC's Political Insider:

A fascinating and heated non-debate over the TSPLOST, between Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed and the president of the DeKalb County NAACP, took place this morning via radio station V-103 and its large African-American audience.

DeKalb has the highest concentration of Democratic voters in Georgia, and is crucial to the formula for passage next week of the transportation sales tax in metro Atlanta. But John Evans, who heads up the DeKalb NAACP chapter, has come out against the TSPLOST, saying it doesn’t do enough for south DeKalb.

Evans and Reed appeared back-to-back on V-103’s “Frank and Wanda Show” to discuss the issue. Evans was first, and said:

“Everybody has a reason they don’t want to pay the tax. They may not all be related to transportation. There are those in these outlying counties who want no part of transportation where we’re going to be bringing black folk and others to their communities. They don’t want it. And so they’ll have their reason for voting.

“The NAACP’s reason for not wanting it is, they have been promising us rail for 20 years, and have not paid the price to do it….They’ve had county commissioners who would support it in Fulton, and wouldn’t support it in DeKalb…They think we’re the weakest folk in the game, and so they think they can get away with it. And when can get certain blacks to fold into that thesis, they think they can influence all of black folk, everywhere….

“First of all, they’re talking about 200,000 jobs. That’s the biggest lie I ever heard. I want a list. That’s an estimate. Even at that, if you’re not secure in contracts in writing, and we may have to end up taking them to court….We can’t afford to play this mealy mouth stuff, accepting everything that the system says.

“When they had the roundtable, they had 21 people. Four of them were black. None of them supported us. None…they tried to buy us off by saying, ‘Okay, you said you wanted rail. We’ll give you $225 million to come up with some jive bus system.’ That’s not it.”
By the time he rolled into the studio, the mayor of Atlanta was plenty steamed. Reed laid into Evans:

”I was listening to that funny fellow you had before I was on. I think he ought to say that to me. When I saw him in the hall, all he did was walk up and shake my hand, and ask me how I was doing. If he’s going to get on the radio and make those kinds of false statements, talk that trash to the people of Atlanta, he ought to do it while we’re both sitting here on ‘V’.

“….That’s what a man would do. This man just got on the radio, said all these false things, used the name of the south DeKalb NAACP, talked about whether I was on the roundtable, talked about this being a rich man’s game. How many people has he ever employed? How many businesses has he brought to the city of Atlanta?….

“He talks that talk because he doesn’t have any responsibility. He doesn’t have a job to do. He doesn’t have to deliver for people every single day. He doesn’t have to look into the eyes of mothers who are trying to get jobs for their kids. He doesn’t have to look at them. He runs around, all day, God knows what he does, talking this talk. Comes on the radio, and then smiles at me in the hall. [To the already departed Evans] Please come on ‘V’ with me…

“MARTA’s getting $600 million in investments. I don’t know how he believes that $600 million is a small amount of money. It’s the biggest investment in MARTA that MARTA has had in 20 years that’s not from the federal government…

“Did you know that right now, folks in Clayton County can’t get on a bus and get into the heart of the city? That’s 1960s, 1970s stuff. If I live in Clayton County, and I’m a working person, I can’t get on public transit and get into downtown or Buckhead or east Atlanta or Cobb or Gwinnett from home? You know what that means? That means I have to take extraordinary steps just to keep a job, just to keep a roof over my head.

“Do you know who put the $225 million in for the south DeKalb line in at all? I did. I did….
“If you all walked out of your front door right now, and put a for sale sign out on your home, you’d be lucky if you broke even. Most of us would have to take a loss. That’s the environment we’re in right now. And John Evans, or whatever the fellow’s name is, see, he doesn’t have to go recruit businesses into Georgia, or recruit businesses into the city of Atlanta.

“The reason I’m working on this is because I sit in those meetings, and we’re losing businesses coming to our town that used to say yes without me even showing up…..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

By definition, a coward is a person who lacks the courage to do or endure dangerous or unpleasant things. Mayor Reed has NEVER and NEVER WILL BE a coward! He has done major things for the city of ATLANTA, which affect everything else in the city. Mayor Reed is very passionate about this issue because the city of Atlanta and the surrounding areas need to move forward and change so we can be the great city and state that we claim to be! Change is inevitable! If we don’t start fixing the problems now, then when? The most powerful aspect of Mayor Reed’s Leadership, is his focus and creativity. He has done a multitude of things for the city of Atlanta, which affect all areas within and outside of 285! The TIA will PASS and this will be another accomplishment on the Mayor’s checklist. Mayor Reed has: increased the city’s reserves from $7.6 million to more than $94 million, passed the authorization of the Municipal Options Sales Tax with 86% support and has made the streets of ATL safer by having approximately 1,950+ police officers in the APD! I am not an intern or an unethical businessman seeking money from when the TIA passes. I am just ready for a change. VOTE YES on JULY 31st! I DID!!!!!

4:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home