.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, January 18, 2009

In the presence of hostility, when asked what I think about him, I diffuse the situation by saying, hey, I like the guy - J. Wooten to retire for sure

In a 4-4-07 post I reported that the AJC's conservative political columnist and editorial board member Jim Wooten was taking an AJC early retirement buyout offer. Well, he changed his mind and stayed on another year.

On Friday the AJC announced:

For more than 20 years, one of the most well-read columns on our opinion pages has been written by Jim Wooten, our conservative columnist. After a long and distinguished career, Jim will be leaving the editorial board, effective June 30.

Fortunately, Jim will continue to contribute to the AJC. Beginning July 1, he will write his “Thinking Right” column once a week, and he will continue his blog on ajc.com.


Despite our different political feelings and philosophy, I like and respect Jim Wooten. He is a great Georgian and a great American patriot. My first post discussing Jim was on 9-10-04 and read partly as follows:

[In the past] I have encountered some hostility toward Mr. Wooten. When asked how I “feel” about him, I diffuse the situation by saying, hey, I like the guy. He can’t help it if his perspective has changed over the years; his problem is that he has just forgotten where he came from.

Mr. Wooten is from Eastman, Dodge County, a pleasant City in the heart of South Georgia where I had the pleasure of spending a summer years ago as Youth Campaign Manager for the successful U.S. Congressional race of Bill Stuckey -- yep, that one, Stephanie’s father, and that summer Stephanie was a newborn, and yes, I may have changed her diapers a time or two.

I have heard that if you stay in Washington too long, you change. Maybe the same thing happens Jim if you live in Atlanta too long.

For those of you who use Mr. Wooten's name in vain when writing about him on the web, know this. We might differ in our politics, but I know him to be a man who does not mind saying how he feels and what is on his mind. I respect and appreciate this about anyone. His political feelings and philosophy, although different from my own, are sincere.

And in one area I grant him complete latitude -- military service. He has been there and done that -- including serving his country in Vietnam -- and you will never find me questioning his convictions or character. I respect his right to write about such, including the service of others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home