.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Monday, May 09, 2005

Gov. Perdue approves a statewide smoking ban.

After I did a 4-6-05 post entitled "Will the real George Ervin Perdue from Bonaire, Georgia please stand up . . . . - To veto or not to veto. That is the question, Part II," I did some checking about current thinking on whether Gov. Perdue would or would not veto the smoking ban legislation. It was unanimous that he would not veto it.

I noted that I thought he would based on my thinking that the Governor may feel that he should not do anything to weaken his shakey base among Georgia farmers, and that I was sticking with my prediction. But I wrote that if you are a betting person, know that the odds favor the opposite opinion.

Today the Governor approved the smoking ban legislation as most predicted he would, ending a guessing game he had fueled for weeks by saying he was undecided over the measure.

According to a story by Dick Petty of the Associated Press, "[o]f 14 tobacco-growing states surveyed by the National Conference of State Legislatures, only Florida has as broad a ban as the new Georgia law provides."

I assume the Governor's handlers think there was some political gain from the waiting game that the governor put us through, but it escapes me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sid, you might be interested in how the AJC originally reported this story and how they whitewashed it for the official print version. I've got details on my site.

7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home