.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

It is never too late to get right with the Lord -- Sen. Miller's voting record

The AP has an 8-25-04 story in which Sen. Miller says his upcoming vote for President Bush in November will be his first ever for a Republican.

"I have never voted for a Republican in my life," the former Georgia governor said. "I have supported every Democratic campaign since 1952. I have voted for hundreds of local and state Democratic candidates. There is no one that has worked harder or longer in the vineyards of the Democratic Party."

"If these folks want to call me a traitor, do they have that kind of record in the Democratic Party?" Miller said. "I am voting for a man I have tremendous confidence in as our commander in chief. Give me a break about this business about calling somebody 'an elephant in donkey's clothing."'

Although he says he voted for Clinton in 1996 and Al Gore in 2000 against Bush, he resisted talking publicly about those races, stirring speculation about whom he chose in the privacy of the voting booth.

He said he supported Gore four years ago "because I was a loyal Democrat." He said he had a change of heart because of the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks.

Even after that, in the 2002 election, Miller gave television endorsement ads for various Georgia Democratic candidates, including Sen. Max Cleland and Gov. Roy Barnes, both of whom lost their re-election campaigns. He said he did it because they were good friends. Miller is refusing to do any television ads for any candidates in Georgia this year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home