.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, November 09, 2008

Georgia Court of Appeals race, Part I -- Sara Doyle is clearly the best candidate.

On December 2 Sara Doyle will face Mike Sheffield.

This is a bit of history repeating itself. In 2004 Debra Bernes led a six-candidate field in the general primary but failed to win a majority of votes.

Mike Sheffield, a candidate closely identified with the Christian Coalition and who called himself the "Georgia values" candidate, ran second.

Sheffield, you might recall, was the only Court of Appeals candidate to return Sadie Fields's questionnaire that asked the candidates about their "judicial philosophies" on U.S. Supreme Court cases dealing with five issues: abortion, homosexual conduct, prayer at public school graduations, parental choice in education and scholarships for theology majors at state colleges.

The results were distributed to 750,000 Georgians in a voter guide -- a first for the Christian Coalition in judicial races.

Ms. Fields bragged that Sheffield coming in second -- he had no money and little other exposure in the campaign other than the 750,000 Christian Coalition fliers -- showed the power of the organization she then headed.

I noted in a 10-04 post that I agreed with her assessment, but correctly predicted that such attention from Ms. Fields might have won him the battle -- a slot on the runoff -- but ultimately would contribute to his losing the war.

Well this time Sara Doyle came in first and Sheffield again came in second, and rather than a field of six, we had seven vying for the Georgia Court of Appeals seat.

I believe Sara Doyle is more qualified for this position of Judge on the Georgia Court of Appeals. She is smart, hardworking and independent. I believe she will be fair to all litigants and can be trusted to consider each case on its own merits and apply the law in a consistent manner.

Sara graduated in the top of her class from Mercer Law School, was a member of the Law Review and received awards for top grades in civil procedure, corporate taxation and estate tax. She has worked at both small and large law firms representing individuals, corporations, plaintiffs and defendants, and has experience trying cases and handling appeals.

Sara has earned an AV Rating from Martindale-Hubbell (a rating I am proud to be able to say I too have), and in 2006 was voted one of the Top 50 Female Lawyers in Georgia.

In short, Sara Doyle has the legal experience we should expect and need on the Georgia Court of Appeals.

I will cast my vote for Sara Doyle on December 2.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree, Sara Doyle is clearly the best choice on Dec 2nd. I am an attorney with personal knowledge of both candidates and I also clerked on the Court of Appeals in 2001. Sara would work had for this state and Mike will work hard for his own political gain. We need a Judge on the Court of Appeals, not a career politician!

12:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for this post. I received my absentee ballot yesterday and came across this one particular run-off election. Even though I had voted for Mrs. Doyle, I was surprise to see Mike's name once again. To be honest, I had not done much of research on him -- after all, what does a mid-twenty-year-old with little knowledge of judicial system, want to know about this race. But after a day of looking up Mike's associations, I have come to the conclusion that this guy is a partisan hack and we cannot afford people with his mentality to take on a seat of Court of Appeals.

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I guess Obama is a liberal partisan hack.

8:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just doing some follow-up research on the judicial candidate choices. Weird thing is, my research shows that Mike has the broader experience. I'm also a Southern Democrat, but I'm voting for Mike on this one.

-Britt

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home