.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Friday, March 21, 2008

Another Angry Black Preacher

E.J. Dionne, Jr. writes in The Washington Post:

I'm a liberal, and I loathe the anti-American things Wright said precisely because I believe that the genius of our country is its capacity for self-correction. Progressivism and, yes, hope itself depend on a belief that personal conversion and social change are possible, that flawed human beings are capable of transcending their pasts and their failings.

Obama understands the anger of whites as well as the anger of blacks, but he's placed a bet on the other side of King's legacy that converted rage into the search for a beloved community. This does not prove that Obama deserves to be president. It does mean that he deserves to be judged on his own terms and not by the ravings of an angry preacher.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

pllThank you for posting Dionne's column. I hope and think that Obama will succeed in fostering a new dialogue on race. God knows we need it. I live in Columbus, Ga. now (was born in Americus). I wrote about Obama's speech on my blog and I hope you and others interested in the issue will check it out. Just go to bebebahnsen.com and then click blog. Thanks again.

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home