.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Some Observations on Being a Democrat -- Part I

Yesterday I made some comments on a post entitled "Being a Democrat" on the blog Blog for Democracy. This morning I got an email suggesting that I should post my comments on this blog. I made 3 comments, and will do 3 edited posts, the first being:

To those who might consider one's views about various issues as being litmus tests to being a good Democrat:

I am pro-choice, not because I am a Democrat, but because I think it should be a woman's choice, and definitely not mine unless it happened to be my wife or daughter.

But what if someone has religious convictions and moral beliefs that are different from mine; do we not have room in the party for such person?

Former President Bill Clinton recently cautioned after the midterm elections: "The people didn't give Democrats a mandate. They gave us a chance."

Let's not blow the chance the voters have given us. To the extent we have to suck it up a little, let's do it. Ours is -- or historically has been -- the big tent party.

1 Comments:

Blogger MelGX said...

I'm not sure who sent that email, or why, but I hope it was in the spirit of suggesting you also share those good thoughts with your readers, while not discouraging you from sharing them with ours.

I very much enjoy your comments, and often learn from them. I'm sure others do as well.

4:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home