.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, February 27, 2005

Sen. Biden: Hillary Clinton will be hard to beat in 2008 race. - I am not buying such talk, not now, not in 2007-08.

Sen. Joseph Biden says any Democrat who wants to run for president in 2008 should keep in mind these three words: Hillary Rodham Clinton.

"I think she'd be incredibly difficult to beat," the Delaware Democrat said Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press." "I think she is the most difficult obstacle for anyone being the nominee."

The former first lady and Democratic senator from New York insists that she plans to run for re-election in 2006. But speculation persists that she might run for president in 2008.

"She is likely to be the nominee," Biden said. "She'd be the toughest person and I think Hillary Clinton is able to be elected president of the United States."

Biden said he is thinking about running again, 20 years after his first failed bid for the White House because "there's a lot at stake."

(2-27-05, AP.)
_______________

I might not be a U.S. Senator, but I am not buying this or even worrying about such talk at this early stage in the game.

Will she be a factor? Sure. Will she get the nominee? No; hopefully we have learned from 2004 that we must nominate someone who appeals to all 50 states.

See my 11-06-04 post entitled:

"Democrats Map Out a Different Strategy -- The 2008 nominee must appeal to red states, analysts say. Hillary Clinton may not (read WILL NOT) qualify."

3 Comments:

Blogger QuentinCompson said...

I'm no genius - far from it - but I understand history. The last 2 Democrats to have been elected President -- Jimmy Carter & Bill Clinton...both from the South and both Southern Baptists.

Please don't get me wrong. I look forward to the day when a woman can hold the highest post in the land and become the leader of the free world.

But Hillary isn't the answer, in my humble opinion.

As much of a centrist as she positions herself to be, the common perception of her is that she's a crazy liberal. I know she's not a crazy liberal -- she's too smart for that -- but people won't buy her centrist position because, well, they'll choose not to.

Personally, I like her. Logically, I doubt she'd win.

We need a Southerner in there with progressive tendencies who can relate to the religious crazies out there.

It will certainly be interesting to see who happens to fill that position in the next year or so.

10:31 PM  
Blogger justin said...

I could picture Cathy Cox winning the race for Governor and then being reelected. That would put her in the perfect stance for a run for the Presidency. =D

9:03 AM  
Blogger QuentinCompson said...

Interesting thought there, Justin.

I'll go ahead and volunteer for that campaign. :-)

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home