.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Saturday, February 26, 2005

HB 218. - It's time for the Cracker Squire to move onto other topics of more general interest.

As noted in a 2-24-05 post, HB 218 was tabled on Thursday, a parliamentary move that sets the measure aside for later consideration. Had it come to a vote, it would have been defeated.

Jim Galloway has a story on the Thursday action concerning the bill in a 2-25-05 article in the ajc, and there is also an informative story on the status and maneuvering on the bill in a story by Sonji Jacobs in Saturday's ajc.

Short of some major development with regard to HB 218, I am going to quit doing so many posts about it.

I recognize that it is something near and dear to my heart because so much of my adult life has been involved -- and continues to be involved -- in industry recruitment. And I didn't limit the following sentence to my legal career.

I became actively involved in recruiting industry in Douglas and Coffee County several years before I became the attorney for the Douglas-Coffee County Economic Development Authority, and I assist other authorities and their counsel in South Georgia in doing the same without compensation.

But I also recognize that this topic is not something that folks talk about at the water cooler and coffee pot at work each morning. And it is for this reason that I am going to cease future posts until and if a major development occurs.

But it hopefully what will not be a concluding post, I must say that I appreciate Jim Galloway of the ajc helping define the issue as many of us involved in industry recruitment perceive that it has come down to. In his 2-25-05 article linked above he notes:

"The measure is seen by those involved in recruiting industry for their state and communities as 'a contest between jobs and the right to monitor growth in Georgia communities . . . .'"

If a community does not want jobs, anything that facilitates job creation and levels the playing field with other states ipso facto must be bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home