.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Kerry to visit Iraq. -- Message to soldiers: "Sometimes you need to balance the books one more time before you close them."

The Associated Press reported a few days ago that former Democratic presidential candidate John Kerry will travel to Iraq next month as the war-torn country prepares for elections.

Although a member of the Senate Foreign Relations Committee, because Kerry voted in October 2002 to give President Bush the authority to wage war and then later voted against additional funds for Iraq and Afghanistan reconstruction, many in Washington expressed surprise both on and off the record as to why the Massachusetts senator would feel it appropriate that he travel to Iraq at this particular time.

Some noted that the guy just doesn't seem to get it that he lost his bid for the presidency.

These concerns and pockets of confusion were clarified in a recent statement by Kerry spokeswoman April Boyd.

She reminded us that the Massachusetts Senator was himself a decorated Vietnam War veteran, and that for this reason Kerry plans to meet with U.S. troops, including some from Massachusetts, to thank them for their services.

Further, while in this setting, he will be delivering to our troops the following message that he was advised by this blog to deliver this summer, but couldn't bring his never erring, proud and elistist persona to do:

Sometime in the future, God willing, each and everyone of you will be returning home after your tour of duty here in Iraq is over. When you return, you will find your fellow countrymen proudly welcoming you back, and many of you will find yellow ribbons awaiting you in your hometowns.

It is in this context and in this company of America's best serving our country here in Iraq that I want to take this opportunity to speak to my fellow Vietnam veterans, and share with them something that has been weighing on my mind and nagging at me.


Given my message, I trust you brave and good soldiers will understand why I wanted to deliver this message in your presence and before you return home and face your fellow Americans.

For indeed, sometimes you need to balance the books one more time before you close them.

To you my fellow Vietnam veterans, I stand here today and say that for my remarks and actions about you many, many years ago, I apologize.

I didn't mean to suggest that you were war criminals. I didn't think that then, and I don't think it now.

To the extent that is how you took the remarks I made years ago as a young man who was full of anger and frustrated with a war I truly thought was for a dubious cause, I apologize.

As Vietnam veterans having fought in that war half way around the globe where most Americans will never go, we knew that Charlie was the enemy. I can only apologize and say I am sorry to the extent my remarks caused some to regard you as such.

For anything and everything I said and did that contributed to causing others upon your return home to call you baby killers and look upon you with disgust and disdain rather than respect and admiration, I say for that I am sorry, truly, truly sorry.

We must this day put aside our past feelings toward each other, and join hands and forces as proud Americans, and being thus united, do all within our power and the power of our blessed country to see that this never, never happen agains to our returning brave soldiers, America's best.

1 Comments:

Blogger Joseph said...

I wish John Kerry would just disappear.

3:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home