.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Tuesday, December 14, 2004

As I expose some of you to the middle where we must go to win again, let me introduce someone I admire & respect. - Dick Yarbrough, a Great American.

The last time a post included anything about Dick Yarbrough was an 08-30-04 post about Zell. This doesn't mean I don't read his columns. On the contrary, I never miss one. I love his writing, his style, his ability to say what I wish I had said.

Do we see eye-to-eye on everything? No, but we do on many if not most. He voted for President Bush; as you know, I voted for Sen. John Flipflop Kerry. Do you remember those lines I had in a 11-02-04 post:

"It's not for nothing that people in Massachusetts joked that his initials stand for Just For Kerry. Or that people spoke of him as the guy who refuses to wait in lines at restaurants because he thinks he's above everybody else."

When writing about those lines a couple of days later, I wrote in a 11-06-04 post:"

"I know some people who think they are too good to wait in lines at a restaurant with the rest of us proletariats and commoners. I don't care for peole who think they are too good to wait in lines at a restaurant, such people thinking they are above the rest of us."

Unfortunately for me, I have never met Dick Yarbrough. I am familiar with his extremely successful journey through life so far and his accomplishments. They are many.

Although I have never met him, I sense that Mr. Yarbrough would have the same feelings about some who refuses to wait in restaurant lines as I do and you probably do. Put another way, Dick Yarbrough is one of us; he understands us. Remarkably, many politicians do not.

All of the foregoing to let you know I am going to share one of Mr. Yarbrough's columns from five or six months ago so you can get to know him before I share a column he wrote immediately after Nov. 2.

I have been saving the post-Nov. column, but felt if I had posted it right after the election, many of you would have outright rejected his wisdom as poppycock.
_______________

A salute to some live Democrats

Dick Yarbrough
June 2004

A member of the Loyal Opposition - meaning those who don't agree with anything I say, which includes about half of the inhabited Earth - confided to a friend that ''the only Democrats Dick Yarbrough likes are dead Democrats.'' Not true. There are a lot of live Democrats I like.

Take Zell Miller, for example. I like him. He says what is on his mind. He always has. The media have a major case of the tut-tuts because he isn't saying what they want to hear. As if Zell Miller gives a quart of mule spit what the media thinks. I like that.

Sam Nunn is my favorite Democrat of all time. He is smart as a whip and was a pleasure to work with. We have had some great senators from Georgia, but none better than Sam Nunn.

I like former Gov. Joe Frank Harris. We were fraternity brothers at the University of Georgia. He was a good guy then and he is a good guy now. Harris has as little ego as any elected official who ever lived.

I like George Busbee, a hard-working governor with a great sense of humor.

I like Carl Sanders and Ernest Vandiver. Both came along at just the right time, when Georgia was struggling with civil rights issues, and they got us through that tough period in better shape than Alabama or Mississippi.

I like Roy Barnes. He lost an election he should have won, but he has been graceful in defeat. I particularly like the fact that he spent six months doing legal aid work.

I like Terry Coleman, the Democratic speaker of the House, and DuBose Porter, the speaker pro tem. I like former Majority Leader Larry Walker. Same for former Lt. Gov. Pierre Howard. I like Secretary of State Cathy Cox and her predecessor, Lewis Massey, and I wish Massey would run for public office again.

Now, here are some live Democrats I don't like. I don't like Jimmy Carter's perpetual grandstanding. He was out of his league during his one-term presidency, yet former presidents didn't publicly undercut him as he has President Bush. One thing Carter's apologists don't mention is the mean-spirited gubernatorial campaign he ran against Carl Sanders in 1970, when he tried to out-Wallace George Wallace. Don't believe me? Look it up. Jimmy Carter either didn't mean what he said during that campaign, or he didn't have the courage of his convictions when he was elected. Either way, I don't like that.

Democrat Max Cleland had an unfortunate accident in Vietnam when somebody dropped a grenade and he lost both legs and an arm. He has put his life back together and I greatly admire him for that. I didn't admire him as a senator. He spent more time cuddling up to the liberal wing of the Democratic Party than he did representing the people of Georgia. When Cleland was Georgia's secretary of state, he always spoke to me. When he was elected senator, he acted as if he didn't know who I was. I didn't like that.

I don't like Ted Kennedy, because he caused the death of an innocent young woman and then was a coward about admitting what he had done. Today, he waddles into the Senate and sits in moral judgment of other people. God will get him for that. I don't like former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, because he always looks as though he is about to come unhinged. I don't like people who scare me.

There are a whole bunch of live Democrats that I like and some that I don't. I hope this revelation totally befuddles the Loyal Opposition. I would like that.

4 Comments:

Blogger rusty said...

Sid, my friend, I've finally found something I disagree with you about. I think Yarbrough is a hack, though a much more skilled hack than say... Jim Wooten.

9:38 AM  
Blogger Mae said...

DY is a great source for understanding southern culture
i'm not saying you have to agree with him, but understanding him is key
sid - how have you been?

11:18 AM  
Blogger Sid Cottingham said...

Mae; she lives. I been doing fine, but had been concerned that you may have dropped off the face of the earth. Good to hear you are alive and I hope well.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Sid Cottingham said...

Mae's comments show that she is truly wise beyond her years.

1:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home