.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Friday, October 29, 2004

Reading about getting breakfasted over Kerry, & then being lunched over Shipp, all in 24-hr. period. -- Politics lives always for the moment to come.

Late last night I chuckled to myself when reading today's PI. Under an article entitled "Welcome to South Georgia: The land of fighting words and short tempers," Baxter & Galloway wrote:

"Politics lives always for the moment to come. [Don't ask me why, but I love that line. By the way, it has nothing to do with this post.] And it can't come soon enough.

"At 7:20 a.m. Thursday on U.S. 27 in Bainbridge, in a brightly lit gas-and-go, Charlie the Cashier breakfasted on a customer who had dared to speak well of John Kerry."

I chuckled on the "breakfasted on a customer bit," thinking how this good, Democratic, no doubt God-fearing, patriotic American stops in a convenience store in the early a.m., possibly still half asleep, to by some gas or get a cup of coffee.

Rather than "have a good one" or "preciate it," -- as the proprietor would have expected had he/she been there -- the customer gets the riot act read to him by a red-neck member of the now Big Tent Party finishing up his night shift.

And the hell of it, of course, is that the one doing the breakfasting probably has not and will not bother to vote. Why? He's not registered, I'll wager a day's wages.

While I didn't get breakfasted, I got "lunched" early afternoon when I made one of my infrequent stops to one of our many banks in Douglas. I am in Rotary with the President, but as readers of this blog know, have been 10 feet under the last couple of weeks, and consequently have missed Rotary.

I was in, the the dining or lunching begins, me being the "eatee."

"I can't believe your buddy Shipp endorsed Bush; he's losing it. I just can't believe it," he says.

"Listen ____, it was tongue-in-cheek I assure you," I said. "But I went back and read it several times, and any irony in it went right over my head," he said. "Plus I had some guys from Atlanta [who work witht the same bank] tell me the same thing, that they had read his saying he was voting for Bush."

Listen, few things in the world I "know know." This is one. I assured him I would email me him my blog informing the world that it was tongue-in-cheek, and despite my assertions therein that I did not know for sure it was tongue-in-cheek, I really did. Shipp is not voting for Bush.

The post I forwarded my banker friend was dated 10-06-04, was entitled "Okay, okay, I'll do it. Today's "I am going with Bush in 2004 (and Perdue in 2006)" post was tongue-in-cheek. You can still speak to me."

My 10-06-04 post begins:

"The most I have in common with President Bush is that we are both Methodists. Today, after an early a.m. post entitled "I'm with the Dean on this one -- The V.P. Debate last night convinced me. I am going with Bush in 2004 (and Perdue in 2006)," I was treated as if I was a Baptist in a liquor store.

"You know what I mean. As in how do you tell the difference between a Methodist and a Baptist? A Methodist will speak to you in the liquor store.

"You can still speak to me, and while you are at it, keep reading my blog."

The post concludes:

"If Bill Shipp and Sid Cottingham vote for George W. Bush for President of the United States on Nov. 2, it means one of the following things. Either the voting machines failed in Alpharetta and Douglas.

"And if not this, that the Martians have invaded, and Bill and I panicked and headed for some place that our President assures us daily is safe -- Iraq or Afghanistan come to mind -- and that Martians have voted in our stead."

Go back and re-read Mr. Shipp's column that is included in an earlier 10-06-04 post. And if you are still not convinced that I know about what I speak, then know that I do. And the Dean's reaction to the reaction of so many?

Well, you remember reading Brer Rabbit and the Tar-Baby, and how Tar-Baby lay still, en Brer Fox he lay low.

Shipp is in the Brer Fox mode, as when Brer Fox he sorter chuckle in his stummuck, he did, but Tar-Baby ain’t sayin’ nuthin’.

Oh yeah, and one more thing. Shipp's laughing all the way to the ink store.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home