.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

What do I know; I just work here -- The same-sex marriage vote

I read that the ACLU plans to file a lawsuit challenging the language used to describe the proposed same-sex marriage Constitutional amendment that is to be on the November 2 ballot. As I understand it (and not having reviewed the legislation, etc.), the ballot will only have sentence stating that marriage will be between a man and a woman. Yes or no.

I am not a member (card-carrying or otherwise) of the ACLU, and thus do not have do not have its telephone nos. in my Outlook. But I would suggest that the ACLU attorneys review -- if they have not already -- the successful challenge 10 years or so ago in federal court in the Northern District of Georgia of the Constitutional amendment pertaining to allowing suits against a state department or agency (I think this is the language. Anyway, it dealt with sovereign immunity.)

(One ACLU attorney whom I do know is Laughlin McDonald. We have litigated on opposite sides in voting rights and redistricting cases. In the Army, out of respect, I would call him an officer and a gentleman. And I must add, a damn good man to boot.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Sid Cottingham said...

Tengo que conseguir a mi esposa traducir (sé un poco español). ¿Es seguro ir a su blog? (no tengo ningún problema con mis ojos, usted entiendo).

2:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home