.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Friday, August 13, 2004

Thar's Gold in Them Thar Hills -- Does he know something we don't?

A year or so ago our local newspaper went two weeks in a row without running the weekly Bill Shipp column. I e-mailed the following to my good friends who run the paper:

"This is the second week running without Bill Shipp. I have the shakes as if I had been cut off caffine. I thought he must be on vacation when I did not see him in last week's edition, but then saw him Sunday morning on Georgia's leading talk show The Georgia Gang [and for you readers of this blog who reside in the Other Georgia, trust me, we also have TV's down here in South Georgia] .

I got a friend to send me the column and she also was kind enough to cut and paste it today when I had to go without it last night. Our readers have missed two Shipp classics, ones that I hope you can arrange to still publish if such is allowed in the publishing world.

About 25 years ago the ajc cut from the comics Little Orphan Annie; it took me a year to get over this, and the movie coming out years later did not solve the problem. Last week the ajc apparently killed Mark Trail, the only comic I read other than Doonesbury and Peanuts.

But this -- which I hope is not permanent -- is the unkindest cut of all, one from which I cannot recover. The Coffee County News without the Dean of Georgia Politics is worst than a day without sunshine -- my whole week is ruined."

Suffice it to say I enjoy reading Mr. Shipp's weekly columns. His columns are filled with golden nuggets week after week.

But this week the good Dean has me stumped. I don't know whether he is being a speculatator or a prognosticator. He is writing about the year 2010; the Governor in 2010 -- "Gov. Mac Collins."

We have seen the prediction (not from Dean Shipp but another) that the GOP may want to run Brother Cain for Lt. Gov. in 2006 (I have asked such predictor: Where does this leave Gov. Perdue's confidant Sen. Tommie Williams?), but not anything like this on Rep. Collins. Interesting, very interesting Dean.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home