.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

"We have met the enemy . . . and he is us."

The Okefenokee Swamp is about 45 minutes from Douglas. Some of you no doubt remember the comic strip entitled Pogo by Walt Kelly, an animator who worked with Walt Disney. A likeness of Pogo is on the water tower in downtown Waycross. Pogo and his friends lived in the Okefenokee Swamp, and one of Pogo's most famous lines is "We have met the enemy . . . and he is us."

I don't have a dog in the current Atlanta mayor’s race, but like most matters involving Georgia politics and races, I try to keep my finger on the pulse of important elections.

I was shocked this evening when I read Jim Galloway's post in the ajc's Political Insider entitled "State Democrats jump into Atlanta mayor’s race against Mary Norwood."

I remain just as shocked after reading the post. I just don't understand the motive, the role, the reason for the party feeling it had to get involved, and I don't feel as if I am missing anything because I live in the Other Georgia 210 miles south of Atlanta.

I very much like, admire, respect and have high regards for Mayor Shirley Franklin. I understand her feelings for Mary Norwood and her reasons for wanting to go public with them as covered in this post from the Political Insider. But the state Democratic party jumping into this race . . ., I just don't get it, and I don't think it advances our cause.

In the unlikely event the implication of the caption of this post is not clear, "he" and "the enemy" and "us" are not Mary Norwood, but rather the state Democratic party.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home