.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Tuesday, July 03, 2007

I find myself struggling in my attempt to get excited about John Edwards' candidacy

In 2004 I was a big John Edwards fan. I referred to him in numerous posts as "my man Edwards." I still am at a loss in trying to understand how he lost the Georgia primary to Kerry.

In a 9-20-04 post entitled "At least one Senator realizes that the goal of a Presidential campaign is to win -- Thanks Senator Edwards," I wrote:

In basketball you take it to the hoop.

In politics, you try to win.

Because of the direction -- make that lack thereof -- of Kerry's disatrous campaign to date, what Sen. Edwards has said is apparently what the bastards want to hear. I say lay it on 'em.

"Let me just say this in the simplest possible terms," Mr. Edwards said. "When John Kerry is president of the United States, we will find Al Qaeda where they are and crush them before they can do damage to the American people."

Thanks Senator Edwards.

(N.Y Times.)

Mort Kondracke is the Executive Editor of Roll Call, "the" newspaper of Capitol Hill. In a very recent Roll Call article entitled "Democrats Hold Edge in 2008 Elections ... If They Don't Blow It," he wrote the following:

[F]ormer President Bill Clinton's one-time pollster, Doug Schoen, writes in his new book, "The Power of the Vote," "to win, candidates have to be where the voters are. Unfortunately, many Democrats are still too far to the left. History could not be clearer on the point: Democrats who win at the national level are the ones who are tough on security, fiscally conservative and responsive to people of faith."

Schoen thinks Democrats will lose in 2008 if they nominate a candidate who favors a "cut and run" policy in Iraq and former Vice President Al Gore's 2000 style of populism because conservatives still outnumber liberals in America, 30 percent to 20 percent.

The bottom line -- at least for now -- is that voters want something different from the divisiveness of the Bush era. Democrats have a glorious opportunity to return to power -- if they don't offer up divisiveness as an alternative.

My present concern with Edwards is that he is running too much as a populist. Although whatever he is doing seems to be working in Iowa (as noted in the preceding post of today), I don't think this strategy will end up carrying the day.

My bottom line: I want to end my struggle. I want to get excited about John Edwards. I want him to once again be my man. I think a lot of disgruntled and fed up voters out there, Southerners and otherwise, want the same thing.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy Morton said...

Well, I want him to be your man, too, Sid. :) My thoughts are that he is the Democrat most likely to ultimately win the White House, and, he helps us more in Georgia than anyone else who's running. I also appreciate his leadership on healthcare, poverty and the war.

10:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home