.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Unlike the reaction expressed by many Georgia blogs, the Other Georgia did not rejoice in the AJC's announced restructuring.

On February 15, 2007, the AJC announced that, effective April 1, the print version of the AJC would only be delivered to 66 Georgia counties, whereas before it has been delivered to 145 of Georgia's 159 counties.

Publisher John Mellott said in an interview that the newspaper is cutting delivery to where delivery isn't cost effective and where advertisers have limited interest. In addition to such places as Coffee County, this change will result in the disappearance of the print paper in cities such as Augusta, Columbus, Savannah and Albany.

Metro residents (I refrained from saying city slickers) may not realize and appreciate it, but this is big news for the Other Georgia. The "Atlanta paper" has had an important influence over the years in molding opinions in this State, regardless of the derision it has received from the Talmadges on the one hand to the current Governor on the other.

Although I read Political Insider online each morning, I read my hard copy of the AJC when I get home for work, especially for State news.

As an eight-year old kid, I had a paper route delivering The Atlanta Constitution each morning that presented special challenges each Sunday keeping my Schwinn upright because of the extra weight of the combined Journal and Constitution (years later The Atlanta Constitution and it "Covers Dixie like the Dew" The Atlanta Journal would combine).

Also as a kid, I grew up reading Ralph McGill and thinking he hung the moon, just an adult I read Bill Shipp and know he hung the moon.

AJC Publisher John Mellott says AJC plans to shift more resources to focus on digital news. But as a avid reader of both online and hard copies of publications (including the AJC, the Wall Street Journal, TIME, Georgia Trend Magazine and James (which is not online)), I can attest that you have to know what you are looking for to find it online. As a hard copy reader, you just come across it.

All of the above to say, AJC, I am going to miss you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Button Gwinnett said...

Growing up, my area was dominated by Tallahassee news and we were rarely covered. One of the few perks that I could think of as a teen for working at the local mom and pop grocery store on Sunday was that we had an AJC Sunday paper box. After I finished my sweeping, mopping, watering, re-stocking, etc. that was one thing I looked forward to.

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home