.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Cagle Not Sold On Idea Of Adding More Members To Supreme Court Or Returning To Partisan Judicial Races

Dick Pettys writes in InsiderAdvantage Georgia:

[N]ot all Republican leaders think the smart next step is to add two more members to the [Georgia Supreme Court] who would initially be appointed by GOP Gov. Sonny Perdue, or to make judges again run in partisan elections.

You can put Casey Cagle, the lieutenant governor-elect and the first Republican who will hold that position, in that category.

I’m kind of cool to the idea,” he said in a recent interview with InsiderAdvantage Georgia. “Obviously, I’d like for others to make their case and I’ll try to be open-minded, but I don’t have a real strong appetite for that.”

He continued: “Judges are elected by the voters and I’m very cautious about trying to manipulate the system in order to have a certain outcome. I think my basic fundamental belief is that the voters are the ultimate decision-makers, and I just don’t see the need to try to manipulate the system ... I haven’t heard from one voter that’s saying we should add more justices or go to partisan elections.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home