.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

A Georgia Democrat & Proud of It. - Let's strike while the iron is hot (we said on March 4), Part II. - The iron is still hot!!

A 3-4-05 post captioned "A Georgia Democrat & Proud of It. - Let's strike while the iron is hot," read as follows:

In December my fellow Coffee County Democrats honored me by electing me as our county's State Committee Member. I will attend my first meeting as an official voting member of the Democratic Party of Georgia on Tuesday, March 15.

I am a longtime member of the Douglas Rotary Club. But I could use just about any other service club or social group, and what I am going to say would probably yield the same result.

If I ask for all of those in my Rotary Club who consider themselves to be Democrats to please raise their hands, few if any hands will go up. This is just the way things have gotten in Georgia, one of the reddest of the red states, and having Just For Kerry as our nominee did not help.

But I know -- just as you know with respect to groups of which you are a member -- that there are a significant number of Democrats in the club or group; I am going to refer to them here as "closet Democrats."

I ask all of you who read this blog to join me in meeting a challenge of bringing these closet Democrats out of the closet and into the open. I am going to begin in Douglas and Coffee County, and ask you to do so in your respective communities across the state of Georgia.

I need the Democratic Party of Georgia to assist me in meeting this challenge. I hope the party will give serious thought to having bumber stickers (white on navy background or navy on white background) available to hand out at the Jefferson-Jackson Dinner on March 15 that say the following, line by line:

A Georgia
DEMOCRAT
& Proud of It

It is possible that this might start something, especially as we are watching the Philistines drop the ball weekly in Atlanta as they continue to demonstrate their arrogance and political overreaching.

We know we're supposed to strike while the iron is hot. The iron is hot my friends, and I do believe the time is now.
_______________

While the call for assistance in meeting this challenge went unanswered, this did not impede the Coffee County Democrats. Having missed having "A Georgia Democrat & Proud of It" bumper stickers available for the March 15 State Committee Meeting and Jefferson-Jackson Dinner, we have gone forward to have them ready for the May 21 State Committee meeting.

Since this has turned into a local versus a state party funded project, we will have to charge for our bumper stickers. We are most anxious on seeing one on your vehicle in Atlanta on May 21.

To see the bumper sticker, go to CoffeeCountyDemocrats.com, and scroll down just a tad. If you are interested in ordering one, contact our local chair Danita Knowles for details. Her e-mail is danitaknowles52@charter.net.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joseph said...

You guys should also consider selling that through Cafe Press (an online shop that prints t-shirts, bumper stickers, and other items). It would help raise money for your chapter, and you might be able to find a wider audience.

7:43 PM  
Blogger Sid Cottingham said...

Come on Joseph. I thought you were going to say you wanted one. Send Danita a couple of bucks and tell her to put one in the mail to you.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Sid Cottingham said...

Thanks Joann. I knew we could count on you. You are going to be proud. See you shortly at the meeting.

1:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home