.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Time-out; take five. Taking one's ball and going home not permitted.

I received an e-mail the other day that said:

"I think Dean will get it because his followers will leave if he doesn't."

My immediate and considered reaction and response. Time-out. Take five.

I don't like to hear such trash talk. They had better not be thinking such, and if they ever did, they need to flush out their minds and reconsider.

Anyone thinking such thoughts -- be it pro-Dean or anti-Dean such as I strongly harbor -- needs to get into the Three Musketeers mode, All of One and One for All. Regardless of how this thing that used not to even be considered news -- but because of the status of our party now is huge -- we went into this as Democrats and we damn better come out as Democrats.

I enjoyed talking with Mr. Dean in Atlanta at the DNC Southern Caucus meeting. I understand his appeal. But I shutter at the message I think his being elected as our party face for the next couple of years sends. It is comparable to the party nominating Hillary in 2008.

I don't want to be making excuses, saying yes but, and otherwise being defensive in the future about who the DNC chairman is. In fact, all I want to be talking about is the GOP's political overreaching, etc.

But Dean as our head appears to be in the making as the decision of the DNC members, and not only will I live with it, I will support it.

But not until it is a done deal. Until then I can only pray that our party has the foresight to recognize that perception is important, very important. And the perception of our party in the eyes of many who used to vote Democrat is not good. This will not change it.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Dean should get his chance. He won’t be the nominee of the party, he will be a spokesman and organizer. He did a pretty good job up there in Vermont and knows how to manage things.

I’m a Kerry guy. I can honestly say I signed on with Kerry back in December 2002 right after he announced informally on Meet The Press. I couldn’t stand Dean in the Summer of 2003, but that was then and this is now.

Dean played ball in ’04 and if he wins, then so be it. I know you agree. Let’s give him a chance, Sid. I think he will do all right.

4:45 PM  
Blogger Joseph said...

I know that you think Dean would be a disastrous choice, Sid, and I respect your opinion. What, exactly, don't you like about him? Is it just a perception of him that you feel people would have (New England liberal who went crazy with the "Dean Scream"), or is it something else?

I personally like Dean a lot, and think that he'd probably make a good party leader. When he was running for president, he was the only candidate who I didn't feel was pandering to me--he told the truth as he saw it (a far cry from what we eventually ended up with in the general election). This got him into trouble a lot, particularly when he would make comments about the need to connect with rural voters or saying that the USA wouldn't be the only super-power forever.

Personally, I think the Democrats need a truth teller right now--someone who's going to come in and make them question "institutional wisdom." In my mind, Dean would be a good choice for that.

8:19 PM  
Blogger Mae said...

see the loyalty to dean?
people are obsessed with him

11:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home