.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Cracker Squire

THE MUSINGS OF A TRADITIONAL SOUTHERN DEMOCRAT

My Photo
Name:
Location: Douglas, Coffee Co., The Other Georgia, United States

Sid in his law office where he sits when meeting with clients. Observant eyes will notice the statuette of one of Sid's favorite Democrats.

Sunday, December 19, 2004

Perdue to evict Cox. - The pigs get fat; the hogs get slaughtered.

Gov. Perdue is evicting Secretary of State Cathy Cox from some of her office space in the state Capitol, just days ahead of an expected announcement that she will seek to unseat him in two years. A Cox spokesman called the timing of Perdue's notice "curious."

But curiousity may be in the mind of the spokeman. For the Gov., extra space may be a matter of physical necessity and girth.

You will recall that this isn't the first time Perdue has felt he needed more space at the Capitol and that Cox has been a target. But his team decided against pursuing the matter two years ago after he announced his program dubbed "Governor's Challenge: Fitness on My Mind," and kicked off his diet challenge for state workers.

But with confidential weigh-ins a thing of the past, more space apparently is back on the Gov.'s mind.

And I thought Perdue was just into chickens. It seems that pork is in vogue in Atlanta as well as Washington. But watch it Governor. One man's pork is another man's bacon, and Cathy could be enjoying some of your's come 2006.

(ajc, 12-17-04.)

2 Comments:

Blogger rusty said...

What's your take on the party-switching overtures story Sid? I'm not so sure those Republican bagmen were real.

7:22 PM  
Blogger Sid Cottingham said...

I think Shipp had it called right. Former Commissioner of Labor and now lobbyist Joe Tanner would have been the perfect one to go (if not same hometown GOP state Chairman Alex Poitevint who has denied anyone went), and Shipp's asking her not only about being approached but if it was Joe made me think he knew something.

Of course this assumes it happened. I think it did, and also I do not think she would misrepresent something so important. Page two

But on a related issue, I question Cox acknowledging she was recently approached and the details of such offer. She could have just not commented, other than saying if it happened she would have flattered, etc., but that she has always been and will always remain a Democrat.

Bottom line for me. She get plenty of mileage with unconfirmed reports about any contact, etc., but I can't say I agree with her acknowledging the same. Maybe I am just a little too old fashioned. Had I made the contact, I would be in orbit.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home